Friday, June 18, 2010

#13 Driving, Flowers, and Food

This morning we went to a PTA meeting of sorts. A few members of the PTA were learning Flower Arrangement today, so they could teach the other members on another day. Instead of my host mom driving her Mini Van (I know Mom, try not to cringe) we were picked up. Carpool! And yes, we were picked up in… a different Mini Van. Haha.

I have to say, driving in Japan is scary! First of all, they drive on the other side of the road, I wonder why? Wasn’t the car first invented in America where we drive on the right side? If I had internet access right now, I would so Google it. Anyway, I have a long list of why driving is scary in Japan: the streets are tiny, the cars are tiny, the streets are very curvy, all of the corners are blind, there are a ton of pedestrians and barely any sidewalks, and on top of it all the Japanese tend to drive in short bursts of speed. Yeah, that means they go really fast and come to abrupt halts. I have been in the car with three different people so I think it’s a very common way of driving.

Anyway, we arranged our flowers. I made the cute little shoe. :) The teacher is in the middle in the back. My host mom was taking the picture.


Flower arranging is a very traditional and common pastime in Japan.

After Iri got home, I found out that she likes Ping Pong. Haha. They can’t believe that we have one at our house. Haha.

That’s basically all I did today.

A note on food:

For breakfast, it has become a routine where I eat by myself, since my host dad and sister leave very early in the morning. I usually have toast or a different kind of Japanese pastry. Not too big thank goodness. With that my host mom will usually make coffee, which I try to have sparingly, I know coffee is an addiction, or mizu (water).

For lunch, it’s usually just my host mom and I. We made Onegidi (?) or rice wrapped in seaweed with anything in the middle (I like salmon in mine.) I love it!

For dinner, we usually have it at home, after Iri gets home around 6:30. Tonight, we had Rice Casserole or Doria in Japanese. My host dad doesn’t get home until 9:30ish.

Tomorrow we go to the aquarium. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment