Sunday, June 27, 2010

#23 The Cinema

If you really knew me, you would know that I have deep addiction to movies. I am full blooded American on that front. We love our movies.

At home, we have stacks of movies to choose from and a Netflix subscription. My dad and I have our movie nights, at least twice a week.

Here in Japan, they don’t really have the same love. They have the cinema and DVD rental shop.

Today, Nariko, my host cousin(?), took me to the cinema. :) I didn’t have to worry about not understanding anything because we chose to go see The Prince of Persia, which would be in English with Japanese subtitles.

I was extremely excited. My first movie in like 2 weeks!

Normally, in America, if my friends and I wanted to go to the movies, we would just hop in our cars and go. It’s not the same here. You have to plan it out with your parents and make sure it’s not conflicting with any of your club activities or after school study classes. And if you are free to go, your parents still have to drive you because here in Japan you don’t get your license until you are 18 years old.

I can’t imagine what they would do if they ever wanted to go on a date. Kids definitely have a lot more freedom in America. That is for sure.

Anyways, the move was great. :) Now that I have seen a movie again, I want to see another. I’ll probably walk down to the rental shop one of these days. Apparently I have a huge home theater in my bedroom. What I mistook as a broken over head lamp is actually a ginormous pull down screen that can be hooked up to a projector. I won’t have to pay the 1,400 yen to go to the theater. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment