Friday, June 25, 2010

#20 Part 1- Bad Morning

Today, my host mom had planned for us to go to her painting class. We wouldn’t have had to leave until 10 so that means I would get to sleep in. Yay! Except… I didn’t sleep in. I woke up early and sick instead. :(

I feel so bad right now. She came down to my room to come get me and I was in bed. She knocked on the door and I told her what was wrong. As soon as she heard, she raced into my bedroom to help me.

After she ran back into the house to see if she had some medicine, which she didn’t, she went to the store to get me some there. She is so incredibly nice.

Occasionally, I can’t help but think about my choice to come to Japan. There are times when my host mom is having a conversation in Japanese and I think. Why did I come here? I think: Why didn’t I choose Spain or somewhere I would have some clue as to what was going on?

I thought about the why today.

I chose to go to Japan because of my interest in history. Japan is one of the few countries where the customs and traditions that were used hundreds of years ago are still seen in daily life today.

I have always wanted to go back in time and see the way people lived. Going to Japan would be my ticket into the past.

I have been here for a week now. I have not only seen the traditions and customs of the Japanese people, I have experienced them.

I realized today that one of the Japanese people’s greatest customs is their kindness and their generosity. Hiroko, Yukihiro, and Iri Kato volunteered to take me into their home for 6 weeks. They are buying me food, teaching me Japanese, and taking me everywhere, for absolutely nothing in return. The Japan Program has always been the most popular program offered by YFU. I know why now.

Now, I can assure you that when my host mom is having a conversation in Japanese, Spain will be the farthest thing from my mind.

I will never regret coming to Japan. It has taught me so many things already.

1 comment: