Sunday, June 13, 2010

#9 Day 3- Berkeley PDO

Our last full day at JPDO! Ah, how bittersweet. I made a lot of friends. :) It’s sad to think that we won’t be able to hang out when we get back but then we all get to experience this great adventure..

Well, for our schedule we basically had our language classes and our cultural workshops.

The “Not with me” session was a memorable one. We talked about what to do in sexual harassment situations. Important? Yes. Awkward? Definitely. Haha. Our Kumi was like family by that time anyway. It made it better.

At lunch though the Blue Kumi tried to steal our flag! They already had Red Kumi`s flag. Jerome got ours back though..

We also played a game where there were 8 separate tables set up, with 5 students at a table. There were cards on the table and we were given the rules to go over and then play a couple practice games. Cool enough… So, if you have ever played Bunko you know that if you lose the hand you go down a table and if you win the hand you go up a table. It was the same with this game. I eventually won a game and moved on to the next table. I started playing at the table, but then I was confused. I’d clearly won the hand but some of the others were saying that the other girl had won. I was like “Did they read the rules wrong?”, “Did I?” So, I just kept going around, randomly winning, sometimes losing. I was still very confused because everyone was playing differently. The whole thing was, everyone was confused, we weren’t allowed to talk, at all. The staff ended it and they were like, “Why are you guys so flustered? What happened?” I guessed it at the end. It was because they had given each table different rules! Yeah, I was a little proud that I got it. Haha. But, still it was a good game. It kind of showed us what our exchange could be like.

We also had a session with the YFU alumni panel, which consisted of our Staff members like Paige who had been on a more recent exchange. We got to ask them questions about their experiences. It was pretty inspirational at times. The best advice was basically, “If your host family or friends offer to take you somewhere new or try something new, you should always go for it rather than back out.” That’s what I’m aiming to do on my trip.

There was also a “Gender Specific” question & answer thing too. We talked about girly stuff. No need to go into that…

Our last activity as a group was to dance! We learned two different Japanese dances and our staff dressed up for the part!

After we learned the dances, each Kumi had to come up with their own. Yeah, kind of different wasn’t so sure about how good we were going to be. But, what really motivated us to do better was that the Kumi with the best dance got to get their O-Bento dinners first!

This is the staff showing there stuff.

This was Blue Kumi’s dance.

This is Maya our administrator of JPDO.
“And the winner is...“

Purple Kumi!
This is Jerome, Me, and Raj eating our O-Bentos, first. :)

We took a gazillion pictures afterwards.

Purple Kumi!

Rio and me. He was on my relay team.

The staff.

Raj and me. Purple Kumi!

No comments:

Post a Comment