Monday, June 21, 2010

#16 Differences

My morning started out on a brisk walk with Okasan and Tane. We walked to my Host Mom’s friend’s house, or better known as Tane’s girlfriend’s house.

I don’t use the word girlfriend lightly either. He was very clearly infatuated with the other dog…

Anyways Miki (Host Mom’s friend) was really nice. Her house was really nice too by the way! It was the biggest Japanese house I’ve been to yet. It was all wood and had a beautiful traditional Japanese garden out front.

What I found out today, is that if you are the first born son in a family, usually, when you get older, your parents come live with you too. Miki is married to a first born son, so her house is bigger to accommodate her in-laws as well. I mean, its common, in Japan. In America, half of the married women I know would probably do something drastic if that were the case. Everything is so different here…

Speaking of different…

The bathroom is a place where I noticed many differences.

Iri goes first, then Alicia, then Okasan, and then Otosan. You shower, using the water as little as possible and then you use the ofuro or tub to soak. No bubbles! Unfortunately, I haven’t soaked yet. I’m only supposed to spend 15 minutes tops in the bathroom and I use all that time scrubbing the humidity from my skin. I will try it though! Trust me, I have been trying everything here. The ofuro is very highly praised from all of the alumni I have spoken to.

This is what it looks like.


Yeah it’s very high tech by the way. (Well, at least as showers go) Apparently you have to turn this little thing on to get hot water… I didn’t know that for the first day. This is one of the many times where I wish I knew the language..

It is very different than my luxuriously long American showers.

This was the toilet in a public bathroom.


Yes, they have a built in bidet. The toilet in my hotel had a bidet and so does my toilet at home. Just make sure you know where the stop button is and that the water is turned all the way down before you try it…

Anyways, enough with the bathroom talk. After tea with Miki and Mocha (Tane’s girlfriend) we headed back home. We were there pretty much the whole day, so when we got back it was around dinner time. That was when I was introduced with Curry Rice. Delicious! One of my favorite dishes so far. That and the Onigiri (not Onegidi by the way) which were the rice ball things I made for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment